My Relationship With Peyton Manning Is A Love/Hate One. Mainly, I Fucking Hate Him!

Today Peyton Manning won his third NFL MVP award. But does he deserve it?

Unfortunately he kinda does.

Well let's be fair and perfectly clear, I'm not really that upset by any stretch of the imagination that Manning won it. A few weeks ago I wrote that DeAngelo Williams deserved the MVP. I still believe that but I'm actually not going to take anything away from Manning this year. While I would prefer that have the Carolina back win the award, Peyton did do a good job and did have an MVP type season.

Reason Peyton Manning Should Have Won MVP:
-He was 5th in QB rating which as an indicator he's one of the best
-He was 3rd in TD/INT ratio
-He was 5th in TDs
-He was 3rd in completion percentage
-He was 1st in DVOA
-He was 2nd in DYAR
-He was the runner up to Drew Brees in DYAR so it's essentially being 1st in it
-He essentially won, at least, 10 games for the Colts by himself
-Indianapolis was 31st out of 32 in rushing yards per game so it's clear Peyton had no rushing help whatsoever
-His ability to fuck over defenses is incredible

Reasons Peyton Manning Should Not Have Won MVP:
-He has the best pass protection from an offensive line (it's really easy to put up great numbers when you have the most time to throw and make good decisions)
-He was only 13th in YPA
-He has two of the best receivers in the game in Reggie Wayne and (yes, look it up on footballoutsiders.com) Anthony Gonzales
-The only offensive category he was first in was DVOA

While Peyton was well rounded in essentially every single category, it troubles me that my MVP was not first in any of them and that he was fairly low in one of the most important ones, YPA. But he still was fucking awesome and being 1st in DVOA is essentially my argument for who deserves to win an MVP (and I still believe that). But when you compare him to the RB who was first in DVOA (and DYAR, YPC, and TDs in his category), then I give it to the guy who was #1 over the guy who was just above average.

Is Peyton Manning a good choice for MVP? Yes. Am I outraged by it? No. Would I have given the MVP to Peyton? No. But at the end of the day all I can do and will do is tip my hat to Peyton Manning for being a fucking awesome QB, a great football player, and a good role model. So Peyton Manning, as much as I fucking hate you, god damn do I respect you.

0 comments: