DME's Fantasy Baseball Teams For 2010

This year, I've limited myself to five leagues. I really only plan on paying attention to three of them, my money leagues. These are my rosters as they stand before the season opener Sunday:

David MVP Eckstein -- Fantasyland 2 -- 12 man, 23 player, 5x5 std. roto auction:
C - Ryan Doumit ($1)
1B - Joey Votto ($28)
2B - Gordon Beckham ($15)
SS - Hanley Ramirez ($51)
3B - David Wright ($38)
OF - Grady Sizemore ($18)
OF - Alex Rios ($7)
OF - Franklin Gutierrez ($1)
DH - Chris Davis ($1)
SP - Josh Beckett ($18)
SP - Matt Cain ($19)
SP - Cole Hamels ($16)
RP - Heath Bell ($9)
RP - Jose Valverde ($7)
P - Colby Lewis ($1)
P - Phil Hughes ($1)
P - Bobby Jenks ($7)
P - Ricky Nolasco ($17)
BN - Nolan Reimold ($1)
BN - Martin Prado ($1)
BN - Franklin Morales ($1)
BN - Ryan Madson ($1)
BN - Justin Masterson ($1)

Comments: If you couldn't tell from the roster, I am attempting Stars & Scrubs this year. I definitely overspent too early on Hanley ($51), Wright ($38) and Votto ($28). I sent my entire budget in 13 players and watched depressingly as guys like Jay Bruce went for $3 in the final few picks. Next year, I'll save a few bucks for the end of the draft. My team is a little light on BA/SB's, but I think my team turned out quite well, all considered. If Nolan Reimold stays healthy, I think he is primed for a big season. I thought I was getting a great deal on elite closers for under $10 early on, but for some reason all of the closers went for around $5 in the league. Strange. I think this team's strong point is the pitching staff, though I will concede SexyRexy's is stronger thanks to his patient approach and aggressive bid war for King Felix.

David MVP Eckstein -- Mangolicious -- 12 man, 23 player, 5x5 std. draft league
C - Ryan Doumit
1B - Ryan Howard
2B - Chase Utley
SS - Derek Jeter
3B - David Wright
OF - Nelson Cruz
OF - Jay Bruce
OF - Carlos Gonzalez
DH - Carlos Quentin
SP - Felix Hernandez
SP - Cole Hamels
SP - Ricky Nolasco
RP - Billy Wagner
RP - Jose Valverde
P - John Lackey
P - Jason Frasor
P - Stephen Strausberg
P - Colby Lewis
BN - Chris Davis
BN - Brandon Lyon
BN - Brandon Webb
BN - Derek Lowe
BN - Drew Stubbs

Comments: You might notice a lot of overlap between this team and my auction team. I am expecting big things from my outfield this year, such as a .282/30/20 season from Nelson Cruz and a .278/35/10 season from Jay Bruce, but there is definitely some risk there. I by far have the best infield in the league, thanks to what used to be strong pitching depth. In a period of 24 hours, my entire roster changed. I traded away brand name studs like Jon Lester for "riskier" players like Nolasco, while upgrading other positions, while trading away seven closers to upgrade three. My team is a little light on strikeouts and steals at the moment, but I should be golden everywhere else. My big regret on the draft is taking Brandon Webb over Brett Anderson. At the time, my team had much more depth and I felt I could take a risk with Webb as the 120th overall pick. In hindsight, I could use another reliable starter, as Strausberg probably won't pitch in the majors till June. All in all, I love this team.

Jizz In My Pence -- Alcoholics '10 -- 10 man, 24 player, 5x5 std. draft league
C - Kurt Suzuki
1B - Adam Dunn
2B - Robinson Cano
SS - Hanley Ramirez
3B - Gordon Beckham
MI - Troy Tulowitzky
CI - Chris Davis
OF - Nick Markakis
OF - Jay Bruce
OF - Carlos Gonzalez
DH - Nyger Morgan
SP - Felix Hernandez
SP - Dan Haren
SP - Tommy Hanson
RP - Mike Gonzalez
RP - Billy Wagner
P - Josh Johnson
P - Ricky Nolasco
P - Max Scherzer
P - Bobby Jenks
BN - Franklin Moralez
BN - Alfonso Soriano
BN - Geovany Soto
BN - Martin Prado

Comments: I had the #2 pick overall in the league; there was no reason, even in a ten team league, that I should have been able to get both Hanley and Tulo. I have a gut feeling that the majority of the players in this league (I joined a random public league) are "amateurs" (not that I consider myself an expert). As strong as I think my offense is, it is my pitching staff that truly shines. I could use a little more batting average on my team, but if Soriano or Soto pans out with a strong comeback season, I'll have a valuable trade chip on my hands. I expect to dominate the league with this team, which is almost criminally amazing -- even for a 10-team league.

2 comments:

Adam Kaplan said...

Really I get respect from the great DME on my fantasy team? I LOVE IT!

I guess a rotation of King Felix, Javy, Ubaldo, Josh Johnson, Oswalt, Floyd, and Hudson will do that to ya!

Also, isn't it ironic that you spent more money and more money per closer than I did?

David "MVP" Eckstein said...

Well a few things
1) My team is very top heavy, but my scrubs are generally awesome. I'm mad i did not get bruce, but Gutierrez and Nolan Reimold and Chris Davis are all very good.
2) My pitching staff is still #2 in the league and very very good. I just couldnt afford to outbid you on Felix
3) I can't believe I outspent you on closers. Why were closers so cheap in our league? They all went for 50 cents on the dollar except the ones i bought and nathan. WTF