The Five Most Gangsta Baseball Teams

EDITOR'S NOTE: After re-reading this article, I can see how this article might appear racist. Please take this entire article with the jest I intended it to have. I'm not making (or at least trying to make) any generalization of any Black people or trying to pass any judgment on any particular person or type of person. My anecdotes, although true, are not meant to be nor should they be any sort of representation of any larger whole. That being said, be rational and think about what I'm saying and tell me I'm not right.

This is not the most gangsta baseball players and a team full of Milton Bradley's and Ron Artest's. This is a rank of the most gangsta fans; which hats and teams do gangsta most root for? Anecdote: I was in a public speaking class with a prominent football wide receiver (unfortunately not the current Tampa Bay wide out Regis Benn) and he often wore a Tampa Bay Rays hat. One day we asked him to name just ONE Tampa Bay Rays player (this was less than one year after TB went to the World Series). He named us David Ortiz. Now on to the show!

5) Los Angeles Dodgers

When I first think Dodgers, I think of Yuppies in Hollywood paying WAY too much money to see a game they're not really watching. But I'm overlooking Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg in "Nuthin' But A 'G' Thang" and one of the greatest centers for hip-hop in the past 40 years- L.A. Plus, I wanna root for a team where I make a hand gesture that represents my team's logo and my city.



4) New York Yankees

I first said a big fat "NO" to putting the Yankees on this list. Not because I'm a homer Red Sox fan, but because EVERYONE is a fair whether fan and has a Yankee hat. But I thought about it more and the current King of Hip Hop, Jay-Z, loves his Yankees and there are a lot of others that follow in his footsteps. And since the beginning of rap's creation (which started in New York), rappers have rocked the "NY" cap. You don't see any rappers with a Mets hat do you?



3) Atlanta Braves

Atlanta has become the king of hip hop since Outkast first come out with "Rosa Parks" and "Bombs Over Baghdad" and the A-T-L have been rolling strong since with guys like J.D., T.I., and LUDA! The Braves are HUGE in the Dirrrrty South and everyone down therrrr's gotta rock the "A" hat and apparently not pronounce or spell their words correctly.



2) Chicago White Sox

The Cubbies are on the North Side and the ChiSox are on the South Side. And you know what's on the South Side: gangstas. Walk around my "beloved" Northern Illinois University see how many brothas wear White Sox hats. ANECDOTE: I was on a bus during my time at University of Illinois and my freshman year was the year the White Sox won the World Series. Behind me were some brothas and a sista. The sista was wearing a brand new White Sox hat and the brothas asked her to name one White Sox player. Her response: "[words I can't say because I'm white] who cares? I like the hat!" Hmmm, seems to be a theme here.



1) Washington Nationals

I was having this argument with my brother about the most gangsta teams and that sparked this blog post. He put our White Sox first, but I think the Washington Nationals take the cake. You don't seem TOO many Nats hats and fans, but when you do, you know they're a gangsta. I mean, you had to be if you were going to support the Nationals before this year. I also take the White Sox out of the #1 spot because hell, my brother and I are huge White Sox fans and sport the ChiSox gear. I know too many "non-gangstas" like myself to put Chicago #1. Although the Nats may not have quantity, they have quality.



Honorable Mentions

  • Oakland A's. My brother put the A's at #3 on his list just because it's Oakland. Ice Cube recently did a 30 For 30 documentary about the merger of L.A. gangsta rap and sports. But the "sport" was mainly the Raiders, not the A's. Plus, too many nerds who live in their parents basement who read Moneyball loves the A's so I can't in good conscience put them in the top 5
  • Baltimore Orioles. I'm currently watching the entire series of The Wire. Half the show follows around bad-ass cops chasing drug dealers and the other half follows around the drug organization. And all are Orioles fans. But Baltimore doesn't really scream "gangsta" does it?

The 5 Least Gangsta Teams

5) Chicago Cubs

4) Seattle Mariners

3) Houston Astros

2) Minnesota Twins

1) Milwaukee Brewers

Honorable Mentions: New York Mets, San Fransisco Giants

10 comments:

The 'Bright' One said...

i cant believe the reds are not in the top 5

Adam Kaplan said...

not even close

The 'Bright' One said...

Wayne
http://itsgrice.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/wayne.jpg

The Game
http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/The-Game-rap-b04.jpg

Plus every black person i see outside

The 'Bright' One said...

and obviously you have never been to cincy. I've been there twice and let me tell you the downtown area is basically a death zone

Adam Kaplan said...

1) I couldn't see The Game picture from the link you posted but the dude has the LA Dodgers symbol tattooed on his cheek!
2) Living in a shitty area doesn't automatically qualify you to be on this list. Otherwise the Tigers and Cardinals would be #1 and #2
3) The problem with Cincy is that there are no rappers from Cincy, or from Ohio in general which hurts its gangsta credibility

The 'Bright' One said...

The Tigers symbol is very gangsta. Have you seen Eminem?

I know that i see Reds hats on black people more than any other hat...and yes, if there was an East St. Louis logo it would be number 1

Anonymous said...

Astros gear has been linked with gangs on the east and west coasts, not sure why they are at the bottom. Although, that would assume that this topic makes any sense at all.

David "MVP" Eckstein said...

I wanna say that the cubs belong higher than 5 on the list of least gansta teams, but geez. The Astros, Twins and Brewers are so damn white. Mariners have the yakuza thanks to ichiro. They're a gang, right?

melinda said...

I read your article about The Five Most Gangsta Baseball Teams. I like the information about Los Angeles Dodgers and atlanda braves baseball team. Great detailed information. Thanks for blogging.

olympics

Adam Kaplan said...

proof that the Yankees are top five (courtesy of my brother) http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/nyregion/16caps.html?_r=3&hp

Also, I completely agree that the Reds need to be top 2 and the Nats need to be taken off this list