A Quick Note On Gavin Floyd

I was a big fan on Floyd coming into this year and thought he would be the White Sox best starter this year. Because of this I thought I got a steal getting Floyd for only $7 in the GOI auction league. But with only two wins, a 5.20 ERA, and a 1.45 WHIP, he hasn't panned out as I had hoped he would. However, here is why I am still optimistic and sticking with Floyd:

-Floyd has the second highest ERA/FIP split (1.53) in the majors. He was first for a while.
-In the past month, in 38.0 IP, Floyd has a 3.08 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, and 35 strike outs. He only has one win but within the past month was the Sunday Night game against Ted Lilly where he pitched eight innings, gave up only one run, and had a no hitter through six, and still got the loss.
-Floyd has the best GB% (49.4), K/9 (7.70), FIP (3.67), HR/9 (.76), and average fastball velocity (92.2) of his career so far this year.
-Floyd has an abnormally unlucky BABIP (.340) this year. BABIP for pitchers generally lie around .300 and Floyd has a career .297 BABIP.
-His xFIP is still under 4.00 (3.93)
-It seems like every time I see Floyd pitch, after he allows a guy to get on first he induces the next batter into what should be a double play (I've seen Bacon mess up a handful of DP's this year). Obviously I don't have any data to prove my point but it's another good sign I see from him.
-DME also took a look at Gavin Floyd in his weekly AL Waiver Wire Column on The Hardball Times the other week and agrees that Floyd's been one of baseball's most unlucky pitchers.

Sure, Floyd is still walking guys (3.14 BB/9) so his WHIP is certainly not going to help you, but I'm not fooled by Floyd's current numbers because I think he's going to (and has already started) pitch a lot better to bring his numbers down to where his peripherals tell me they should be.

0 comments: