TBO's First Call Into Sports Radio = Stupid People Hate Numbers


Ughhhh, even Les Grobstein, one of the most knowledgeable sports personalities on the radio, does not understand sabermetrics. Actually he hates sabermetrics and would rather stick to the batting average and RBIs as a way to evaluate the value of a player. The reason Les works in radio and people like me don't, besides me having better stuff going on, is that 95% of the population still thinks like Les. Stupid, outdated ideas about sports. Even though I may be right, only 5% of the population would agree with me, hence I would not accommodate all the listeners and people would not listen. That is how you get a job in this world. Don't do the right thing, do whatever pleases the most people. Unfortunately I was unable to record most of the conversation, but you can get the point. You can listen to the audio on podbean. Here

3 comments:

David "MVP" Eckstein said...

OMG. Just listened. Clearly they should change 670's logo to "The Score: Where Stats Go To Die"

David "MVP" Eckstein said...

Statistics lie.

BTW, you hated Soto too until I enlightened you about my boy. Ive been soto's #1 supporter all the way and when he wins his C-MVP, I will be there to accept the award in his honor.

Can we please sign him to a 8 year deal>>

David "MVP" Eckstein said...

marginally below average defense @ catcher + substantially above average offense @ catcher = play the catcher.

I feel like Soto is our Mike Napoli. FREE THE BEAST.

-5 FRAR over the past 3 seasons, total. That's Adam Dunn's FRAR per 20 games last season. But thats cool. Nobody wants him. It's like saying Henry Blanco should be a starter