FML

My plan was to get a nice nap this afternoon after sleeping about 7 hours the past 2 days in preparation for my biochem exam this morning. But as always, people wanted to play some basketball, and I am incapable of saying no to sports. Nearing the end of the 3rd and final 3-3 game I was playing, I collided with someone, not even sure who, went to the ground, and was instantaneously in pain. Being a man, I got up and finished off the game on one leg.

I thought it was just a bone bruise, but as the day progresses, I feel my knee giving out. I cant walk straight, i cant bend my knee, i cant lift my leg. Basically i'm immobile. Yet, I did what every man would do in the situation. I went back to the gym to "stretch" out my knee and literally walk it off on the basketball court. Obviously, this is a stupid rational to use, but thats the type of dumb shit men do.

Being a future doctor, maybe, I made an initial diagnosis of a torn ligament in the knee, possibly a meniscus too. Given the severe symptons, the location, and progression, it seems like a definite ligament tear. I'll give it a couple days and probably go in for an MRI to confirm. Personally, I have never been immobilized for a substantial amount of time, such that I have no clue what i will do if i cant play sports daily. I may go insane for all I know. It's that important to me. Being the arrogant schmuck that I am, I actually thought I was immune to bone breaks and other severe sports related injuries. I've strained more muscles than i can count, but I thought my bones and joints were on the stronger side and I would really have to be in a freak accident to suffer such an injury. But given that I play 2 hours a day, every day, I guess I was due.

The only similar injury occurred to me freshman year of college. I recall the day quick well because that was the day my old druggy roommate was forced to move out of the dorms and go live with his parents. I helped him pack, then went to the hockey rink for a morning skate, and fell at a high speed right on my knee. Now I have fallen the exact same way hundreds of times before, but that specific fall cracked my knee cap. It really sucked because I had to go to an orchestra performance right after, which luckily was on the other side of campus. Lets just say I didnt skip-to-my-loo all the way there. You could see the bone break through the skin. It took nearly 4 months for the knee to completely heal, god I hope this injury doesnt take nearly as long. Damn it, just sitting here writing this post has made my knee stiffen up...thats what she said.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to go to the doctor NOW. I am sick of telling men to go to the doctor. For some reason, they never want to go and then the next they know, they're dead! So go! Put a wig on and dress like a girl if you are too embarrassed to go otherwise.

The 'Bright' One said...

Not sure if anyone has ever died of a ligament tear in the knee...

I think i know who this is(7:58am!) so you should kinda know i spent years living at the doctors office and already nearly died. So no need for the pep talks

Cubsfan4evr said...

You just need to rest it and stop trying to be Derrick Rose!