Quick WBC Notes

-The Netherlands beat the Dominican Republic! Twice! This mean that the Netherlands advance to the next round and the DR does not! The DR with Big Papi, Edison Volquez, Pedro, Robinson Cano was defeated by Sidney Ponson and.... um... 24 other guys I've never heard of (OK, 23 guys, Ponson, and Rick VandenHurk)! The DR lost! They have 23 major league players and they lost! Think about crazy that is!
-But as Cubs fan, you guys should happy DR lost because Carlos Marmol now does not have to put extra strain on his arm
-At first I was upset that MLB players were in the WBC. Then I realized the WBC could be very advantageous to hitters but still pretty detrimental to pitchers. Then I realized there was only 3 starters per team. And then I realized that really only half of the teams in the WBC HAVE major competitive pitchers and then a good chunk of those teams get eliminated in the first round, so not a whole lot of major MLB pitchers really pitch a lot. Although still, Jake Peavy and Roy Oswalt are gonna get hurt in '09. Probably.
-Also, no White Sox pitchers are in the WBC so I'm happy and this probably biases my last point
-I don't care about the WBC still yet I'm really rooting for the US to win it all. I think if the U.S. wins it all, it will legitimize the Classic. Plus with the Olympics canceling baseball, this only helps the WBC. But as for right now, I just don't care.

5 comments:

The 'Bright' One said...

randall simon plays for the netherlands, he's kinda famous i guess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V9kJw-kWQ8

saBEERmetrics said...

I am incredibly happy marmol is going back to spring training where he belongs. If only Venezuela also lost

Adam Kaplan said...

why did you post as C.O.C.K. and not Eckstein?

David "MVP" Eckstein said...

Was checking my other account and forgot to change over...

The 'Bright' One said...

thats jeff? i thought we had a real reader :(