Fantasy Baseball Draft Retrospect

The game of inches money fantasy baseball league is nearing the end, and as previously noted DME has a 99% chance of winning and everyone else is competing for second place. His 20 point league in a 10 category league is almost insurmountable. I am currently sitting in a disappointing 5th place in the standings and am curious how my draft turned out and what mistakes were made. Here is my draft order and the outcome of each player.

1. Grady Sizemore - Injured, ranks 174. Still on team
2. BJ Upton - Internet died, autopicked. Ranked 145. On team
3. David Ortiz - Steroids, ranked 366. Still on team
4. Kevin Youkilis - Great start then traded for Arod
5. Joe Mauer - Great start, traded with Bruce for Hamilton/Soto. Fuck
6. Troy Tulowitzki - Believed in him. Dropped when hitting .220. Fuck
7. James Shields - Ranked 218. Disappointing
8. Jay Bruce - Traded for Hamilton
9. Roy Oswalt - Traded for Bedard and Qualls
10. Carlos Delgado - Injured, dropped
11. Derek Lowe - Ranked 277, disappointing
12. Lastings Milledge - Autopicked. Sent to minors
13. Randy Johnson - Good start. Traded for Scott Baker
14. Joel Hanrahan - Dropped 3 separate times. Worst pitcher ever
15. Johnny Cueto - Traded for Mike Gonzalez
16. Gil Meche - Injured back, dropped
17. Richie Weeks - Great start, traded for Aaron Hill
18. Ubaldo Jimenez - Dropped after 3 starts. Fuck!
19. John Maine - Dropped. Picked up. Traded for Marmol
20. Chris Ray - Dropped
21. Jemery Guthrie - Dropped
22. Rick Porcello -Dropped
23. Jake Westbrooke- Dropped

I only have 5 of my 23 draft picks still on the team, and 3 of them are my top 3 picks. Considering my top 3 picks were horrific in Sizemore, Upton, Ortiz, a 5th place position is fairly impressive. Clearly I lost the league on draft night. Having the internet connection die twice resulted in Upton/Milledge, plus i wasnt overly prepared for the draft. I went primarily with the Lima plan, which would have worked out if guys like Meche, Lowe, and Shields performed up to their career numbers. Also dropping guys like Jimenez and Tulowitzki were definitely overreactions. I also went with the strategy of taking risks in order to win. Picks like Ortiz and Mauer were risky but it would have worked out if I didnt trade Mauer for the injured Soto, Hamilton combination. Best free agent pick up was Ben Zobrist.

As the saying goes. Wait till next year.

1 comments:

Cubsfan4evr said...

I think you had a really good season considering that you still only have five players you drafted. Especially with your first three picks being terrible! You probably would have dropped them if they weren't your first three picks. I think considering those circumstance you did very well. I may post a similar post on looking back at my draft.