Why I disagree with Sexy Rexy's fantasy strategy.

Sexy Rexy: I Love You. I mean that in a sincere and not homosexual way (not that there's anything wrong with that.) Really just more in a familial way, if you get where I'm coming from. I don't mean this as a personal attack. Just a simple disagreement.

For those of you who don't know, Sexy Rexy and I are co-managers of a team in the paid roto league. I don't know his motivation, but I'm too cheap to pay for one on my own. Seriously Eckstein, why is the entry fee so high? How much money do you think we make? I serve food to ungrateful college students three nights a week for my money. Where is this magical disposable income coming from. But hey, I guess we all don't have degrees yet.

Anyways, I digress. I would have had this disagreement privately, but ever since Twitter, privacy seems as unnecessary as (insert random Bill Simmons movie reference), so screw that. So, if you all haven't figured it out already, Rexy loves accumulating pitching depth. I figured it out very quickly, as I'm also competing against him in three different leagues. All a bit hectic considering my busy high octane work schedule. His theory is that you can rotate starting pitchers in and out based on when they start and have a core of relief pitchers permanently there. Offensive bench players basically only sit there and do nothing most of the time, coming in only for the occasional spot start, thus rendering them useless most of the time.

Now, this is a completely valid and respectable theory. Frankly, it makes perfect sense. However, I have a few problems with it. One, as had happened, other people see this theory. They say to themselves, 'hmm, that makes sense. I'm gonna accumulate pitching depth at the expense of my offensive bench.' All of a sudden, Manny Parra becomes highly touted and teams are vying to pick up Johnny Cueto. When every, or many, teams take up this strategy, demand gets driven up. For those teams that legitimately need pitching help, it is increasingly difficult to find good pitchers on waivers and teams are less likely to trade away pitchers. Let's say a few key pitchers on your team go down midseason. Replacements are going to be hard to find.

This brings me to my second point: injuries and consistency on offense. Sexy Rexy's strategy presupposes that his offense is solid across the board and will stay consistently strong throughout the season. This is not always the case. Players hit rough patches. For example, Dan Uggla might get to a point in the season where he hits for a low average. You wouldn't want to drop the player necessarily, but you would need a solid replacement unless you wanted a significant dip in your stats. A quality replacement player might not be available via waivers or trade, so having a good replacement player on the bench helps. You could trade to get a replacement, but you'd have to give up a pitcher because that's all anyone in the league would want. Having some offensive depth ensures your team is protected should a hitter hit an extended cold streak or get injured for a few weeks. A suitable replacement might not always be available on the waivers, but perhaps on the bench.

In short, Sexy Rexy is potentially hurting himself and the rest of the league. He artifically inflates demand for pitchers within the league and leaves himself open to a world of hurt if a core offensive player gets hurt or goes on a slump.

Personally, I prefer a more balanced approach, with my bench players split between offense and pitching. That way I can sub pitchers in and out when they start so I accumulate enough W, IP, K, etc. and I have enough offensive depth to ensure the long-term success of my team

Then again, considering how my team is doing in Sexy Rexy's free roto league, I'm not sure I'm the most qualified person to be dishing out fantasy advice.

2 comments:

David "MVP" Eckstein said...

I think you raise a good point, but if you are on top of waiver wire pick ups and trends in player peripherals, you should stay well ahead of the curve.

My mistake in this league was setting the IP limit so high. I didn't realize just how high 1800 IP was. I drafted a great pitching core, but was on pace for 1440 IP with those guys and had to diversify my staff if I didn't want to lose in K's, Ws on the mere basis of an innings deficiency. Next year, I think I'll set the IP cap around 1550.

I think the best approach is finding durable guys who are consistent and not the best, but well above average. Value picks who will get you a cumulative 3.8 ERA, 1.3 WHIP, 8 K/9 or better

The 'Bright' One said...

the IP limit is consistent with the number of pitching spots you have. 3sp, 4p, 2rp.

Also, if the stupid connection didnt go out, then i would be dominating the pay league like i am sexyrexy's league where i actually got to draft my players