Why Is My Pitching So Dominant?

Excluding saves (until Monday, I only had two closers, one of whom is injured), I am currently top 3 in every pitching category in my money league. I did some basic sabermetrics analysis to see if it was sustainable.



Seems so at this pace. I'm expecting Greinke to regress a bit once he lets in a few HRs, but that will probably be largely offset by regressions towards the mean by Beckett, Valverde and Lindstrom. Based on my team's current ERA and FIP, there is some, albeit slight, room for improvement.

One thing to take note of that is relevant beyond my fantasy league is a reaffirmation of my theory about saves. Only one reliever on my team currently has an ERA below 4 and two have ERA's upward of 5.5. And yet, their poor numbers barely impact my team's cumulative season ratios. There is a lot to be said about the power of bargain saves. Still, I wouldn't want Joel Hanrahan (who just lost the job to Hanrahancuffs) or Manny Corpas on my team any time soon.

On a side note, kudos to Sexy Rexy for drafting Wandy Rodriguez before I had the chance (2 W, 1.69 ERA, 1.03 WHIP, 27 K in 32 IP). I seriously hate you for making me settle with Randy Wolf.

5 comments:

David "MVP" Eckstein said...

1) I'm slowly catching up
2) That is why there is a "Stuff No One Else Cares About" tag attached to this post

Adam Kaplan said...

I didn't read this entire article before because this post sucks... but I like how I get a shout out! Woo hoo!

Journalissimo said...

Regardless of the tag, it still shows up on the main screen when you look at the blog. I think it's too much of tooting your own horn, but that's just me. I wouldn't do that, but I'm not sure I am the standard for good decision making. Also, my fantasy team in Sexy Rexy's unpaid roto league is not doing too well right now. However, it is still April. Let's see how we're all doing come August.

David "MVP" Eckstein said...

the point of this article really wasn't just "look at my awesome team" but also a reaffirmation of my theory on saves.

The 'Bright' One said...

are you sure the point of the post wasnt "look at my awesome team"? when the title is "why is my pitching so dominant'?

that's like brett michaels writing a column called "why do i bang so many bitches" and claiming its not bragging, but a statistical examination of why it is he bangs so much