I love ESPN.com's headlines

I still get my sports news from ESPN. I know, how silly and outdated of me. But hey, I'm living on the East Coast right now, so their coverage seems balanced and comprehensive. On the right side of the screen, ESPN.com has a list of major sports headlines for the day. As a sports fan, I understand what they are saying, but often times, I think about them out of context. Then, I chuckle loudly and my roommate gives me weird looks. I will probably make this an ongoing thing, so bear with me.

Favorite headline for yesterday:
"Vick To Be Released From Prison Camp May 20"

Now, I know it's in relation to Vick's stay at Leavenworth Prison in Kansas over dogfighting charges, but since when does the U.S. have prison camps? Why not just call it prison? or jail? or penitentary? I thought prison camps had been out of style since the 1940s.

An older ESPN headline I liked:
"Pens turn to Satan for Game 5, bench Sykora"

Now, my first reaction was laughter, because I thought Pittsburgh had started praying to the Devil for guidance. Instead, it's just a player named Miroslav Satan. Not nearly as cool. If I actually followed hockey I would have known that. I could only imagine Sydney Crosby leading a satanic ritual before a game. I think that would draw me back to hockey.

2 comments:

The 'Bright' One said...

it's not even pronounced satan.

Sh-aa-tan

Journalissimo said...

Good to know for the future. I suppose if I actually followed hockey I would have known that.