Maurice Jones-Drew kneel down at 1 Yard Line

On Sunday there was a controversial call by Bill Bellichick in the New England game. Because of that call which I agree with, I feel no one is talking about what Jack Del Rio had Maurice Jones-Drew in the Jacksonville Jaguars game on Sunday. Maurice Jones-Drew deliberately knelt down on the one yard line instead of easily scoring a touchdown. He stopped on the 1-yard line to waste time off the clock. Then the Jaguars kicked a field goal to win by two points. Now this move I don’t understand. I would have thought it would be better to score more points which you easily had a chance to do. Instead you barley win and what if the kicker misses the field goal for some reason? Do you waste that much more time off the clock than scoring a touchdown?

I also read that Maurice Jones-Drew apologized to his fantasy owners. He was sorry for not scoring the touchdown and the extra points that come with it. He said “Sorry to my fantasy owners, they told me to get as close as I can and take a knee." I have also never heard of a player apologizing for something fantasy related. Would you want a Bear player telling the public that he thinks about fantasy football and the people that have him in their leagues?

I don’t know football like I do baseball so maybe one of our other contributors can explain this to me? Was it a good move to take the knee?

1 comments:

Adam Kaplan said...

yes it was, they won the game, didn't allow the Jets a chance to score, and making a 20 yard FG was extremely easy and was the ultimate result Del Rio wanted. read my post above