Why Aren't The Houston Texans Better?

I figure I'd step out of my Chicago bias range and actually discuss and analyze another team. In fact, I'd thought I'd analyze a team that no one seems to be talking about- you guessed it, the Houston Texans. Now I'll fully admit I've never seen a Houston Texans game in my life. But let's be honest, who actually needs to WATCH games to analyze games. I mean Chris Rongey watches every single White Sox game and he doesn't know shit about the team.

Think about this, the Texans have the best wide out in the game (Andre Johnson), a top five QB (Matt Schaub), a pro bowl worthy and young running back (Steve Slaton), a top five talent-wise DE (Mario Williams), a former defensive ROY (DeMeco Ryans), and this year's defensive ROY (Brian Cushing). This year, they currently have the 7th best run blocking D-line and the 12th best pass blocking O-line.

Now, I actually can't answer this question because I haven't seen a single game, but it's a good question don't you think. The Texans seems to draft well (passing on the shitty Reggie Bush for Willaims) and their team is extremely young. I don't know if it's the coaching, the fact that some of their stars (Williams, Slaton) aren't playing very good right now, or the fact that there an expansion team that made some pretty bad decisions early in their franchise (i.e. taking the great David Carr #1 overall). But, I don't know, it seems that this team can never seem to get over the 8-8 ceiling.

I can tell you that this year their doing bad, because there secondary is god awful causing this team to be in the bottom third for total defense. And they can't seem to run the ball this year. I have a feeling this team hasn't put too much emphasis on the O-line just because they're such a young franchise. There run blocking is awful which is bringing Steve Slaton down (plus Slaton's fumbles). I don't know what's wrong with Super Mario this year, but his four sacks is probably the reason the Texans pass D is so bad this year.

This team seems to have the talent, or are on the way to having the talent, needed to make it to the playoffs. But when you think about the players and talent on this team, it makes you wonder why the Texans can't continually win 10+ games every year? Maybe Gary Kubiak isn't THAT good of a coach? Maybe it's harder than we realize to start a team from scratch, especially with everybody else already established? Maybe the players at the positions I haven't names (i.e. S, DT, CB) are really fucking bad?Maybe this is the year the Texans win 10 games? I don't know, and frankly, if any Houston Texan fan has the answer, I'd really like to know. But seriously, when you look at this teams roster, why aren't they better?

0 comments: